A fungus found in more foods than you think, and Canada is one of the top makers | We Are The Best
– I’m in Montreal, in a microbrewery. Without yeast, beer wouldn’t exist,
and many other products. Actually, Canada is home to one of the biggest yeast producers in the world, and it all started right here in this city
at the end of the 19th century. Antoine Chagnon is the president of Lallemand, a family company that specialises
in the development and manufacturing
of yeast and culture. Antoine, I never thought
that yeast would be almost
everywhere in what we eat, from cheese to a good beer
to a glass of wine. – Really all over the place.
– It’s amazing. And nobody knows in the country that your company, Lallemand, is not only the Canadian leader but a world leader
in that field. I mean, it’s amazing.
Who started all that? – So it was started by Fred Lallemand. He was an inventor and he got interested in yeast and started using yeast. – And that’s when? – He started
his company in 1923. – And it’s your grandpa
who bought back the company. – Yes, in 1952, my grandfather bought the company, and my father took over
in the eighties. – And you conquered the world.
– If you really say so. – It’s a natural thing.
What is it, exactly? – It’s a unicellular mushroom, basically. It’s a fungus, a small…
– Small fungus. – Yes, and it’s always
fed with sugar and all sorts of nutrients. – So it’s very natural.
– Very much a natural product. – So how much yeast can you make from that little tube
you showed me? – You start with a little tube, and at the end of the week you can have
up to 800 tons of… – 800 tons?! In one week?!
– Yes. Yeast grows very quickly. We produce more than 200 different types of yeast. – 200?!
– Yes. And there’s thousands,
thousands of yeasts in nature, and one
of our strengths is the fact that we produce so many different yeasts that have different effects on different products that we sell to. – So when I have a piece
of cheese, a slice of bread, there’s a part
of Canada in that. – Yes, there very well can be
a part of Canada in there. – Well, you can be proud about your family and yourself. – Thank you. We are very proud.
– Cheers. Let’s drink to Canada.
Thanks to you and Lallemand. Every day, hundreds of millions of people around the globe are going to grocery stores
to buy food produced with yeast or culture by Lallemand. Nowadays, this family business is a world leader in their field. And that’s why we are the best.